Monday, September 30, 2013

Goals of the Week

This week marks the start of a shift in my personal mindset. Less slacking, more effort, less over thinking and more prioritizing. 
I took a few days off this weekend because I wanted to up the intensity this week in the gym and in life. Two days in, feeling more sore and mentally strong than ever and have the hunger back for the challenge.
I skipped canning this weekend (going next month don't you worry) so instead of raising money for the kids I stayed here and partied with my friends. That sounds terrible...
The weekend began on Thursday as usual; released from my lab at 8pm I scarfed down dinner and got set to meet with my friends. After a long but fun night I'd intended to use Friday as one last "productive" day. I felt foggy in my career class and brain dead in math, but managed to use the rest of the day to do some apartment searching and socializing. Upon going out I was faced with getting 10 people into a party, stopping a fight (girls can't just hit guys in the face, especially my guy friends. Taken care of) and eating a brownie. Saturday was spent in (first time all year) because it seems canning took every potential party out of campus that night. No complaints. 
So why this sudden change in attitude? Shift in mindset? Well I practiced the art of perspective this weekend. I stood back and took a look at my current life and assessed it. Social, academic, personal and physical. I'm not unhappy with my life, but in order to be truly happy and satisfied one must always look to improve...
Social: Relax around my friends. By this I mean new friends, which I've had no trouble making and maintaining but I do take time to truly be myself around people. Realizing that these girls/guys love me and are incredible people to be around made it easy to relax and be myself once acknowledged.
Academic: Work harder. Every opportunity to learn will be taken and every second available to study will be utilized. Meeting with my adviser this week to determine a minor is getting me excited for the future and bringing new motivation. 
Personal: Stop being so hard on my relationship. Though many of you may not care, I'm dating a guy who, for the first time in my life, I'm not getting tired of. We've been through a lot and he makes me very happy, but since coming to college I find myself comparing us to others rather than focusing on what we've created with each other  Everyone is different and, although we have our imperfections, I love what we have together, I just need to relax and enjoy what comes naturally. 
Physical: Push myself through my dang workouts. If I'm going to hit the gym 5 days in a row, research movements, eat right and sleep well than I better be seeing some results. I've plateaued due to a lack of effort, so Sunday I went all out, added extra work and was mindful through the workout. Same with today, max effort every rep, every set. I feel incredible and it's been two days. That says something.
So you could say this week I got my hunger back. Hunger for success, pride, and happiness in all aspects in my life. I refuse to be anything less than the best I can be, and I'm working now to become that person everyday. that's what State is all about right?
Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment