Monday, September 9, 2013

Sickness and Sucky Sleep Schedules

Well it happened. I was casually walking with a few friends around campus last night when upon swallowing I realized it had happened; I had a sore throat. See I'm one of those people who rarely if EVER gets any kind of sickness, 1-2 times a year if any. I used to catch something whenever the flu, throwup or allergy season rolled around, but since going Paleo I've managed to come away from every germ filled environment unscathed. So why the change?
I have a hypothesis. I formed it today, really proud of myself actually because I never even use words like hypothesis outside of Chem... anyway, when I woke up with my alarm at 8 and hit snooze. I've never hit snooze in my life... I've annoyingly woken up at 7:30-8 my entire life regardless of when I went to bed or what I did the night before, and I think the last time I took a nap I was about four. But lately around 4 pm I'll stop what I'm doing, go brain dead and just want to pass out into a coma for an hour. interestingly enough, I usually eat dinner around 6/7 and feel fine for the rest of the night. My eating has been consistent, I've felt a lot less stressed this last week than I did the first, and I'm finally beginning to feel settled here on campus. But for some odd reason, for the first time in my life, I'm freaking tired. I'm not saying I'm superwoman but I have never been your typical napping, sleeping until 12:30 kind of teen. 
So now that I've eaten my hard boiled eggs and almonds and as I sit here sipping my coffee, I'm coming up with a few things to do differently to health up my life. 
  1. Wash. Everything. Hands, bowls, knives, Tupperware have all been sitting in my room with whatever chicken juice/ day old coffee in them without always being cleaned before the next use. Gross I know, but I've never been a hygiene freak and have never had a problem with sickness; I've always believed it has helped my immune system to not be super sanitary but some of my stuff just looks disgusting.
  2. Lemon water and tea. Two of my favorite drinks and home that I'd guzzle religiously, but since coming to PSU I think I've had one glass of lemon water and two cups of tea in two weeks. Lots of nutrients and vitamin C I'm missing there...
  3. Sun. I'm used to SITTING, not just walking through the sun for at least an hour a day. Aside from my daily hikes/ outdoor work I'd sit in my backyard and soak up some rays around lunch time every day. It kept my skin clear, made me feel energized, and I mean I had a decent tan that I'm now losing which really boosted my self esteem ;)
There's plenty more I could do I'm sure to stay healthy, but these have been the three biggest changes in my life so far. And by changes I mean controllable changes. Walking everywhere has been a huge change, but aside from tight calves and sore feet I'm loving to frequent movement and fresh air. It really keeps me sane and relaxed and has also helped me trim down a bit since arriving. This sore throat is 10x better this morning (yay strengthened immune system) so hopefully I'll continue to heal throughout the week. For now, off to the gym for chest/ arms day!

No comments:

Post a Comment