Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Course load...

The two month mark is fast approaching here at psu, and through many fine weekends and even weekdays, I've had some of the craziest times of my life. There is one outstanding frustration that's been with me since the first week of classes, and it's not a bad professor or too many exams. It's a lack of work.
I'm used to being busy. In high school I played  3 sports, took AP classes, multiple science courses and was in charge of many clubs. From 5 am to 9 pm I was occupied every second, and now here at college I feel completely under-scheduled. 
My courses are not challenging at all. Two exams have been difficult, but it is only because the course has absolutely no relation to my major which gives me no drive to push myself in the course. 
After meeting with my adviser and narrowing the focus of my major I feel much better, but for the time being it's incredibly difficult to get through the day because I have so much down time. I'd much rather be studying and having a consistent work schedule than sitting around during the day. Sure I study and do all the homework assigned, but I don't feel like I'm being pushed at all. 
I think college is all about self motivation. You pick your courses, how much time you spend on your assignments, and there's no one telling you when to work and forcing you to go to class. This makes it harder than high school despite the lack of work. 
I'm looking forward to a fuller schedule with more interesting courses. I believe having material that interests you and that is truly important to you makes it easier to self motivate. For now, I'll keep grinding...

No comments:

Post a Comment